Sunday, September 25, 2011

The End of the Line

Well we did it - 385 km or 240 miles in 6 days.  I'm not quite sure how, and I'm not quite sure why.  But we are now safely in Budapest and happy to be off the saddle for a while.  Today was by far the best day of this whole Vienna trip.  We left early after a quick run to the ATM for some more forints - we had to go on several ferries and needed Hungarian currency.  The biking was great - mainly on paved bike paths.  We  crossed the Danube three times by ferry.  Fortunately, the ferry was there every time.  We had read that some of them only run once an hour.  Since the last leg of this journey was by boat into Budapest, we had to be at the ship at 4:30 for a 5:00 sailing.  We (or more likely, I) was worried that we would miss the ferries and then wind up missing the ship into the city.  But the ferry gods were with us and we cruised right along.  The scenery was exquisite and the weather pristine.  Certainly made up for all the rain, wind, and cold we had suffered through, not to mention the endless cornfields.


We really didn't have to worry about making the boat, because we got there about 2 hours early.  On route, we ran into a wine festival that was just getting underway.  That was a hoot.  Got down to the dock and bought our tickets right off and wondered around town for a bit.  The boat ride to Budapest was nice, especially since we didn't have to ride the bikes.  As you approach the city, you are greeted with the Parliment building which is absolutely stunning.  We all disembarked.  And by all, I mean us and a few dozen others all going to the same hotel.  It was now after 6pm and it felt like a fire drill biking through the city trying to find the hotel.  I had tears in my eyes by the time we pulled up to the front door.  A very strong emotional release that took 3 weeks in the making.

Checked in and parked the bikes for the last time.  Tried to go to the sauna, no luck, wrong key.  Got dressed for dinner and met the gang downstairs.  It was now around 8pm and dinner wasn't finished till around 10pm.  Of course it was another epicurean delight.

Another Hungarian feast. I have to inject this little tidbit before this blog is over.  One source of our amusement came from Jim, who cannot eat gluten products.  Ingeniously, he made up these lamentated cards in different languages that explain his situation.  We tease him endlessly because he gets very special treatment whenever anyone reads these cards.  I am thinking of coming up with some kind of disease just so that I can flash my card.  He was treated like royalty and has been able to enjoy his trip without the worry of what is really in his food.

Speaking of Jim, I have to say that he was the most concientious in terms of always waiting for people and making sure that no one was left behind.  Joanne, God bless her, managed to bike all the way from Munich to Budapest and still put up with Lee.  Although Gail and Mark do their own thing most of the time, when you do get to spend time with them, they are great fun. Bonnie is, as always, dependable and steady. Richard was unexpectedly, most supportive. And Lee, although gruff on the outside is pure pussy cat on the inside.  This was his ride and we all jumped on the train where we wanted. All in all, I have to say that all of my fears and worries were all for naught.  Except for a few cranky times, and one time when my knee decided to fall out of its socket (I did manage to pop it back in), and a very sore tush, I rode well, held my own, and am very proud of going the distance through the good and the bad.

We did it - all of it - from Amsterdam to Bruges to Paris to Vienna to Budapest - visiting Slovakia from time to time. Six countries, five cities and various towns.  I simply can't believe it is coming to an end.  Tomorrow we tour Budapest and then Monday we set for home.  No free wifi in this upscale hotel so I am not sure when or if I can post this before I get home.

Sunday morning - walking around the city and stumbled on free wifi at freshfactory.hu

Next time... The Buda and The Pest

1 comment:

sole.sister said...

Good for Jim!!! Careful what you ask for Susan....

Post a Comment

Type your message in box. Go down to COMMENT AS - hit arrow and choose your account or just click on NAME (ignore URL)or ANONYMOUS and hit POST COMMENT. You should see "Your comment was published".

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.



Island Dream Blogger Template